Take this opportunity to start conversations with your child’s teacher, and discuss strategies to help your child do his or her best in class. Meeting with the teacher also lets your child know that what goes on in school will be shared at home.
With only 15 minutes allocated, the clock starts ticking once you sit down, and the countdown begins. With such limited time to discuss something as important as your child’s performance in school, a game plan is in order.
Here are 6 tips to make full use of the precious allocated minutes.
1. Write down your questions in order of priority in case time is short. Be specific and to the point.
2. When addressing a specific concern, start with a positive comment such as, “Thank you for all the hard work you put in with the children.” Remember to tell the teacher what you’re doing at home to solve the problem. This will indicate to the teacher your intent to work together to find the best solution for your child.
3. What should you ask? Ask open-ended questions.
- What are some challenges you’ve observed in my child? How do you help him manage these struggles?
- How is my child doing in (x) subject compared to her potential?
4. Find out about how your child is doing socially/ emotionally.
Do not overlook these points as they greatly affect willingness to learn and attend school.
5. Who should attend?
Both parents/guardians should attend if possible.
This ensures that your family is on the same page and understands what and how to help your child at home.
6. Be positive and solution-oriented.
Remember, your child’s teachers spend quality time with your child and are a strong influence on his or her education. Treat them with respect and work together as a team. Education does not take place solely in the classroom, what happens at home matters too.
Did you know? The Eton Academy has termly updates with parents to ensure that everyone is kept updated on the progress of the child. We provide a learning snapshot that reviews both academic prowess and soft skills. We also provide weekly updates for young children through lesson summaries, and even have take-home activities to reinforce learning at home.
Here at The Eton Academy, we are committed to working hand in hand with you to provide the best learning experience for your child by allowing them to thoroughly explore their capabilities through self-discovery.
Experience a class first-hand to find out more! Sign up for a trial class here.
THE ETON ACADEMY. ENRICHMENT. TUITION