Programmes for Primary 1
Our curriculum and lessons are designed to ensure that your child is not only able to master the content and skills included in the MOE Primary 1 syllabus, but is also encouraged to speak up, ask questions, and further explore themes and concepts he or she is interested in via our structured-inquiry learning approach.
Class duration: 1 hour 45 mins
Class size: Maximum 12 students
Primary 1 English
- WRITE ON!
Classes develop the essential skills of writing, reading comprehension, vocabulary acquisition as well as proficiency in grammar rules as covered in the MOE Primary 1 syllabus.
Your child will be equipped with an arsenal of writing techniques to draw from when writing compositions and other text types.
- RAISING READERS
We incorporate passages taken from literary works and non-fiction into our curriculum, exposing your child to different text types while honing his or her reading comprehension skills.
- GETTING GRAMMAR RIGHT
We help your child build a strong language foundation through a variety of language exercises that help to reinforce grammar rules.
- BE HEARD
Our lessons encourage your child to be an active listener and an articulate speaker, developing his or her own voice and perspective.
Presentations and mini projects are integrated into our lessons to hone your child’s critical thinking and public speaking skills.
- BE CURIOUS
A broad range of inquiry themes (e.g. sustainability, automation and engineering) are introduced over the school year to broaden your child’s knowledge about different issues around the world, encouraging him or her to think beyond the classroom academia.
Themes and Language Skills
Through the course of our P1 English enrichment programme, your child can look forward to learning the following:
- Creative writing of different themes and text types (e.g. story behind names)
- Generating ideas based on given themes and pictures
- Structuring a narrative story based on beginning, middle and end
- Applying basic writing techniques such as dialogue
- Reading comprehension and cloze passages which cover a range of themes and are rich in vocabulary
- Location of clues in the passage to answer questions
- Construction of grammatical answers
- Grammar topics such as comparatives and superlatives, present tense and past continuous tense
- In-class discussions and presentations
- Mini projects and exhibitions for students to present what they have learnt
- Identity and Confidence
- Young Game Changers
- History and Exploration
- Travel and Adventure
Primary 1 Mathematics
Curriculum and lessons have been designed to be in alignment with the MOE primary school syllabus and mathematics framework so that your child will have a solid foundation in Primary 1.
- UNDERSTANDING MATH IN THE REAL WORLD
Weekly investigative problems help your child to see how math applies in real-world situations and are used to familiarise your child with problem-solving heuristics.
- ENGAGING IN HANDS-ON LEARNING
We give your child a fun learning experience by using manipulatives, interactive activities and class projects.
- USING HEURISTICS
Your child will learn different methods aligned with the MOE syllabus to tackle problem sums.
- REGULAR REVIEW
Ensure your child gets the most out of each lesson through our three-pronged Readiness-Engagement-Mastery approach.
Enable your child to reflect on and evaluate his or her own learning via mastery checkpoints in the form of fun puzzles, short quizzes or activities.
- BE CHALLENGED
Stretch activities, which include more challenging problems to topics introduced in class, help your child to explore math concepts on a deeper level.
Concepts and Skills
Some math concepts and skills that your child can look forward to in our P1 Math enrichment programme include:
- Numbers up to 100
- Ordinal numbers and position
- Multiplication and division of whole numbers
- Measurement and Geometry
- Shapes and patterns
- Picture graphs
- Draw a model
- Part-whole model
- Act it out
- Use of concrete objects to represent people or items in a given math problem