Programmes for Primary 1
Help your child to get a solid start to primary school education with our Primary 1 enrichment programmes and tuition classes.
Our curriculum and lessons are designed to ensure that your child is not only able to master the content and skills included in the MOE Primary 1 syllabus, but is also encouraged to speak up, ask questions, and further explore themes and concepts he or she is interested in via our structured-inquiry learning approach.
Class Duration: 1 hour 45 mins
Class Size: Maximum 12 students
Check out our Young Explorer Camps held during the school holidays, where we explore science and entrepreneurship and even aviation in the world around us!
Enrichment & Tuition Classes for Primary 1 (Maths & English)
Primary 1 English
Students develop the essential skills of writing, reading comprehension, vocabulary acquisition as well as proficiency in grammar rules as covered in the MOE Primary 1 syllabus.
Your child will be equipped with an arsenal of writing techniques to draw from when writing compositions and other text types.
We get your child interested in writing by inquiring into children’s books, learning best writing and characterisation techniques and how to emulate them.
We incorporate passages taken from literary works and non-fiction into our curriculum, exposing your child to different text types while honing his or her reading comprehension skills.
GETTING GRAMMAR RIGHT
We help your child build a strong language foundation through a variety of language exercises that help to reinforce grammar rules.
Our lessons encourage your child to be an active listener and an articulate speaker, developing his or her own voice and perspective.
Presentations and mini projects are integrated into our lessons to hone your child’s critical thinking and public speaking skills.
A broad range of inquiry themes (e.g., sustainability, automation and engineering) are introduced over the school year to broaden your child’s knowledge about different issues around the world, encouraging him or her to think beyond the classroom academia.
Themes and Language Skills
Through the course of our P1 English enrichment and tuition programme, your child can look forward to learning the following:
- Creative writing of different themes and text types (e.g., story behind names)
- Generating ideas based on given themes and pictures
- Structuring a narrative story based on beginning, middle and end
- Applying basic writing techniques such as dialogue
- Reading comprehension and cloze passages which cover a range of themes and are rich in vocabulary
- Location of clues in the passage to answer questions
- Construction of grammatical answers
- Identify keywords in questions (e.g., identify the subject)
- Grammar topics such as comparatives and superlatives, adjectives, connectors, present tense and past continuous tense
- Interactive in-class discussions and presentations
- Mini projects and exhibitions for students to present what they have learnt
- Themes covered during the academic year include:
- Identity and Confidence
- Young Game Changers
- History and Exploration
- Travel and Adventure
Assessment Framework for Primary 1 English Enrichment & Tuition
Throughout the academic term, there will be informal classroom assessments conducted to better guide and boost each student’s learning journey.
Application of Writing Techniques
Written exercises in which children demonstrate proficiency in application of writing techniques (e.g., character descriptions and story structure) are conducted throughout the term. Compositions are assessed using rubrics aligned with local school requirements.
Application of Grammar Concepts
Written tasks that require children to recall and apply their understanding of grammar concepts taught in the prior weeks and for teachers to track children’s mastery of the concepts are conducted weekly. Examples of tasks include multiple-choice questions, sentence construction or cloze passages.
Children are evaluated on their clarity of expression and organisation of ideas once a term using rubrics aligned with local school requirements.
Children recall and apply what they have learnt by completing a review paper comprising various language tasks such as multiple-choice questions, sentence synthesis, cloze passages and comprehension open-ended exercises. Teachers use the performance of the children in each section of the paper to determine areas of improvement for each child.
At the end of each term, learning snapshots are also distributed to students and parents on the following:
General Behaviour, Attitudes and Dispositions
- Children’s traits are evaluated based on general classroom observations throughout the term. Children are assessed to be either developing, proficient or exceptional in the various areas.
Proficiency in Reading, Writing and Speaking
- Children’s mastery of reading, writing and speaking skills based on performance in classroom activities and written tasks are evaluated and recorded. Children are assessed to be either developing, proficient or exceptional in the various areas such as application of answering techniques, accuracy of sentences and originality of ideas, as well as confidence and fluency in expression of personal thoughts and opinions.
Primary 1 Mathematics
Curriculum and lessons have been designed to be in alignment with the MOE primary school syllabus and mathematics framework so that your child will have a solid foundation in Primary 1.
UNDERSTANDING MATHS IN THE REAL WORLD
Weekly investigative problems help your child to see how maths applies in real-world situations and are used to familiarise your child with problem-solving heuristics.
ENGAGING IN HANDS-ON LEARNING
We give your child a fun learning experience by using manipulatives, interactive activities and class projects.
Your child will learn different methods aligned with the MOE syllabus to tackle problem sums.
Ensure your child gets the most out of each lesson through our three-pronged Readiness-Engagement-Mastery approach.
Enable your child to reflect on and evaluate his or her own learning via mastery checkpoints in the form of fun puzzles, short quizzes or activities.
Stretch activities, which include more challenging problems to topics introduced in class, help your child to explore math concepts on a deeper level.
Concepts and Skills
Some math concepts and skills that your child can look forward to in our P1 Math enrichment programme include:
- Numbers up to 100
- Number facts, puzzles, activities
- Ordinal numbers and position
- Multiplication and division of whole numbers
- Measurement and Geometry
- Shapes and patterns
- Picture graphs
- Draw a model
- Part-whole model
- Act it out
- Use of concrete objects to represent people or items in a given math problem
Assessment Framework for Primary 1 Math Enrichment & Tuition
The assessment framework and review are based on the Singapore MOE Primary Mathematics syllabus with clear curriculum learning outcomes. At The Eton Academy, there are weekly learning outcomes, summative assessments and formative assessments:
- Learning Snapshots: Assesses learning disposition and attainment levels of learning outcomes from first 8 weeks of term, given out during week 10
- Term Review: Assesses application of learning outcomes from the past in a formal assessment setting at the end of the term
- Lesson Review: Weekly assessment of this week’s learning outcomes at the end of the week’s lesson
- Mental Mathematics: Weekly assessment of past learning outcomes required for success in the week’s lesson
- Homework: Weekly assessment of student’s ability to apply concepts independently
Read more about our various Enrichment Classes, Subjects & Programmes offered here:
Nursery 2 Enrichment: English
Kindergarten 1 Enrichment: English & Math
Kindergarten 2 Enrichment: English & Math
Primary 1 Enrichment: English & Math
Primary 2 Enrichment: English & Math
Primary 3, 4, 5, 6 Enrichment: English, Math & Science
School Holiday Camps
Young Readers Programme
Workshops & Events