Programmes for Primary 2
To ensure that your child is sufficiently stretched in class and gains a deeper understanding of the MOE Primary 2 syllabus, we have structured our enrichment lessons to integrate investigative learning, content mastery practices, class discussions and extended learning activities to help your child hone his or her language, numeracy and problem-solving skills.
Class duration: 1 hour 45 mins
Class size: Maximum 12 students
Primary 2 English
- WRITE ON!
Classes develop the essential skills of writing, reading comprehension, vocabulary acquisition as well as proficiency in grammar rules.
Your child will will learn how to model his or her own writing after authors’ use of writing techniques, and build a repertoire of writing strategies to utilise in compositions and other forms of writing.
- RAISING READERS
We incorporate passages taken from literary works and non-fiction into our curriculum, exposing your child to different text types while honing his or her reading comprehension skills.
- GETTING GRAMMAR RIGHT
We help your child build a strong language foundation through a variety of language exercises that help to reinforce grammar rules.
- BE HEARD
We encourage your child to be an active listener and an articulate speaker, developing his or her own voice and perspective.
- Weekly inquiry themes and mini projects are introduced to help your child develop oral communication and critical thinking skills.
Themes and Language Skills
Through the course of our P2 English enrichment programme, your child can look forward to learning the following:
- Creative writing of different text types (e.g. letters)
- Generating plotlines based on given themes and pictures
- Structuring a narrative story to include a conflict and resolution
- Applying basic writing techniques such as descriptions using sensory language
- Reading comprehension and cloze passages which cover a range of themes and are rich in vocabulary
- Question analysis of key terms
- Location of clues in the passage to answer questions
- Construction of relevant answers to open-ended questions
- Grammar topics such as subject-verb agreement and sentence synthesis
- In-class discussions and presentations
- Mini projects and exhibitions for students to present what they have learnt
- School and Learning
- Discoveries and Inventions
- Communicating with Others
Primary 2 Mathematics
- UNDERSTANDING MATH IN THE REAL WORLD
Weekly investigative problems help your child to see how math applies in real-world situations and are used to familiarise your child with problem-solving heuristics.
- ENGAGING IN HANDS-ON LEARNING
Lessons use manipulatives, interactive activities and class projects to give students a fun learning experience.
- USING HEURISTICS
Your child will learn different methods aligned with the MOE syllabus to tackle problem sums.
- REGULAR REVIEW
Ensure your child gets the most out of each lesson through our three-pronged Readiness-Engagement-Mastery approach.
Hone your child’s metacognitive skills and enable your child to monitor his or her own learning via mastery checkpoints in the form of fun puzzles, short quizzes or activities.
- BE CHALLENGED
Stretch activities, which include more challenging problems to topics introduced in class, help your child to explore math concepts on a deeper level.
Concepts and Skills
Some math concepts and skills that your child can look forward to in our P2 Math enrichment programme include:
- Numbers and Algebra
- Numbers up to 1000
- Addition and subtraction within 100
- Times tables of 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10
- Multiplication and division of whole numbers
- Measurement and Geometry
- Two-dimensional and three-dimensional figures
- Picture graphs with scales
- Draw a model
- Part-whole model
- Comparison model in 2-step word problems
- Guess and check
- Guess-and-check table
- Make a systematic list